Since you’re going to be home for an extended time (Yay!), I thought I’d best remind you of the Rules of Being Home. Or (if you prefer) the 11 Commandments for Summer Vacation.
Thou shalt have 48 hours to sleep and be grumpy after which thou shalt return to being a member of the family and the human race.
As a Member of the Family and Human Race
- Thou shalt not whine.
- Thou shalt communicate (relatively) cheerfully.
- Thou shalt complete a minimum of one household chore per day.
- Eating is not considered a household chore.
- Neither is washing the dishes you used to make your own food.
- Thou shalt keep the floor of thy room free from dirty clothes, dirty dishes, and other hazards.
- Thou shalt inform thy mother and thy father of thy plans and when thou expecteth to return home.
- Thou shalt discuss thy grades, thy college plans, and thy career goals with thy parents. But not necessarily on thy first day home.
- Thou shalt not tease thy sister. At least not overmuch.
- Thou shalt wear sunscreen (at least outside).
- Thou shalt fetch more orange juice from the basement if thou finisheth the carton.
- Thou shalt not attach thy behind to the couch and thine eyes to the TV and assume thy day is complete.
- Thou shalt hug thy mother occasionally.
So excited to see you, sweetie.