Dear Kid,

You might have heard the rumor that it’s Movember. You know that because A) I wrote about it yesterday and B) you’ve been on the planet for a while. Probably more the second, but still.

And you might have heard about the celebration at the end of the month.

Which means you know a bit about November.

But did you know that November is also International Drum month? And that it’s National Caregiver Appreciation Month? (Thank you, Caregivers!)

Here’s the biggie: it’s Peanut Butter Lovers Month.

Not Peanut Butter Month. Peanut Butter Lovers Month. Seems to me the idea would be to hug a peanut butter lover, right? Apparently not.

Happy Peanut Butter Lovers Month! (Who Knew?) DearKidLoveMom.comNovember is Peanut Butter Lovers Month, time to celebrate our favorite food! Americans will celebrate by eating more than 65 million pounds of peanut butter during the month of November.

Wait, what? 65 million pound during one month? During a month that features turkey no less! That is a huge honkin’ amount of peanut butter.

So, in honor of PBL Month, here are some fab facts about the “pb” part of pb&j:

  • An acre of peanuts will yield enough peanut butter for 30K sandwiches. The average peanut farm is 100 acres. You do the math.
  • The peanut plan flowers above the ground but the fruits grow underground. Weird.
  • It takes 540 peanuts to make a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter. Unless there’s more than normal taste-testing involved. By law, for a product to be labeled “peanut butter” in the United States, it must be at least 90% peanuts. The other 10% is stickiness.
  • 75% of homes in the US have at least one jar of peanut butter. Some of us are overachievers.
  • Peanuts are sometimes called “goobers” which comes from “nguba”, the Congo language name for peanut.
  • Archibutyrophobia is the fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth. Don’t know why you’d be afraid of such a thing—you know it’s going to happen (see “other 10%” above).

How are you going to celebrate Peanut Butter Lovers Month? (Please do not suggest peanut butter and jelly instead of turkey on Thanksgiving…)

Love, Mom