As you may have heard, Sunday is Mother’s Day. This is the annual celebration of mediocre breakfasts in bed and macaroni art.
Now that you are a college student, I’m guessing you don’t have teachers instructors professors who take a photo of you and mount it in a macaroni encrusted frame.
So what is a college kid to do? Never fear, my dear. Being the kind of mom I am, I have decided to share Five Fab Ideas for Mother’s Day.
- Say I love you. If you’re not around, pick up the phone and call. Texting does not count. Note: You are not required to call at midnight. I guarantee your mother will be happier if you call at a more reasonable hour. If you are around, give your mother a hug, a kiss, and a heart-felt I Love You, Mom! Guaranteed to always be the best sort of gift.
- Create a memory. Make a collage of photos (try using some from when you were young and some that are more recent). A written hand-written message is always a good idea. Or do something fun to create a new memory.
- Know thy Mother. Some mothers appreciate flowers. Some mothers prefer a plant that’s longer lasting. Still other moms have allergies and would be just as happy to skip the flora.
- Pay attention to tradition. If you have a mom who likes going to brunch, go to brunch. If you have a mom who prefers a Mother’s Day devoted to gardening, put on the work gloves.
- Tell your other moms you love them too. Are you lucky enough to have extra moms? Grandmothers, aunts, cousins, friends, moms of friends—whoever they are, tell them how much you appreciate their mom-ness.
Happy Several Days Until Mother’s Day.