Once upon a time (by which I mean about 3 years ago), I suggested you take care of yourself so you’ll still be active and healthy to do whatever you want to do when you’re a zillion years old.
Of course, even half a zillion years old is waaaay too far in The Future to get you to pay attention to taking care of yourself. It’s not that I don’t think you’re taking care of yourself–you’re eating, you’re sleeping, you’re getting to class on time (I assume). You’re doing all the things you should be doing to encourage your body to hang around for a long, long time.
But just in case you (or someone you know) isn’t exactly following the Yellow Brick Road of self-care, here are 5 Important Reasons to Take Care of Yourself.
- You have more fun when you’re healthy. When you don’t feel great, all you want to do is go collapse quietly in a corner. This is the opposite of fun.
- If you’re not here, you don’t get to find out what happens next. Live hard, die young is, what’s the word I’m looking for, stupid. Live great, die old is a lot more interesting.
- It’s fun to start a sentence with “When I was your age…”.
- Health care is expensive. Medication is expensive. And medical care is only going to get more expensive. Spending a little time now to take care of your own bag of bones will let you spend more on fun and less on medical care in the future.
- We love you. And we want to see you happy and healthy for a long, long time.