It is not easy being a mom when your kid is sick and you’re not near your kid.
Of course, it’s not easy being a sick kid, especially when your mom is nowhere around.
Fortunately, you (the sick kid) carry your immune system wherever you go. And fortunately it works pretty well most of the time.
Occasionally something slips by and you get sick. This usually causes your immune system to kick itself in the butt and get working. Because chances are you have a virus and there’s not much in the way of treatment for viruses except letting the aforementioned immune system do its job.
Here are 5 Important Things to Know When You’re Sick and Mom Isn’t Around:
- Stay hydrated. Sometimes easier said than done. Water, apple juice, chicken soup, and tea are all good options.
- Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen. It will help ease the aches and pains and help you fight whatever fever you’ve got. (On the other hand, plenty of people say that a fever is your body’s way of creating an inhospitable environment for the virus.)
- Sleep. Again, easier said than done. But try. Napping is good.
- Toast. Take a few nibbles of toast if you can. Don’t overburden your system with a lot of food.
- Know you will survive. You may not feel like it is possible, but I promise you will live through this. It just has to run its course. And that can take a while.
We love you, kiddo. Feel better.